The highest rate of insurance claims for burglaries happen between September and November, with the number of claims 10 per cent higher than in spring, when they are at their lowest MoneySuperMarket reveals in their recent analysis.
MoneySuperMarket analysed over 2.7 million home insurance quotes run on the site from July 2014 to June 2015, taking into account claims for burglary made within the last three years. Overall, 2.1 per cent of policy holders using the website had made a claim on their home insurance for a burglary, with the rate rising to 2.26 per cent in autumn, compared to 2.06 per cent in spring.
Dan Plant, consumer finance expert at MoneySuperMarket said: "Being burgled is a terrifying and disruptive experience that too many people go through. Not only is a burglary a complete invasion of privacy, but a violation of the place we should feel safest.
Our research has found the autumn months see Brits making the highest rate of claims on their home insurance for burglary. As the darker nights roll in, this shows it’s crucial for everyone to think about security measures for their home, to prevent burglaries and protect themselves from opportunistic thieves.
It is also hugely important to have home insurance in place to provide the support needed in the event of a burglary. Annual buildings and contents insurance is available for £132 a year on average, not a huge amount to pay for peace of mind, especially as this can often get you an unlimited amount of content cover. When running a quote, it’s important to put in as close a figure as you think is accurate for the value of contents you have in your home, so you have enough cover, and also don’t pay over the odds for something you don’t need.”
Here are some easy tips on how to make your home safe:
- Install timers on your lights to come on when your'e not home
- Install a suitable alarm system for your home
- Fit robust locks on doors and windows and make sure you use them each time you go out, and also at night when your family is in bed
- Ensure items of value are kept out of sight via the view of your windows
- Contact the local police to see if they offer home visits to advise about security
- Make sure your property is not easily accessible – improve fencing or put up a gate with a suitable lock
- Make sure your home contents insurance is fully up to date - thieves could strike at any time
- Ensure you are compliant with everything your insurer outlines in your policy. Some policies have certain security requirements that will be a condition of your insurance cover. If you’re unsure then call your insurer for more details and make sure you're fully covered
With burglaries on the rise during Autumn, make a quick call to us here at Glevum Security ... ask about our Keyholding and Alarm Response service. Protecting your home has never been easier.