Now I know that having the locks changed is a serious hassle but there are some circumstances when it is absolutely the right thing to do.
Here are 5 reasons why you really should get those locks changed:
1. You’ve lost your keys. It happens to the best of us. Unlikely as it sounds, there is a possibility that they have been picked up by someone who knows where you live and has criminal intentions. Call a locksmith and get those locks changed.
2. You move into a new property. You have no way of knowing for sure who else has keys to the place so get the locks changed.
3. You have recently been burgled or there are signs of an attempt. It is surprising how many people do not think to get new locks in such an event. Don’t take the risk.
4. You are having trouble with an ex-partner or ex-housemate. It is not unknown for the mildest of disputes to quickly get out of hand, no matter how well you think you know the person involved. There may be that something that they think rightfully belongs to them that they will pop round for, letting themselves in with their key.
5. Your lock is old and starts sticking. It is a fact of life that things wear out. If your lock shows signs of sticking or becomes generally difficult to operate get a have new one fitted.
There are other instances when you should be cautious. You may have a trusted workman carrying out a job while you are away from the property or at work and you may leave them with a key.
Perhaps you have asked a neighbour to pop in and feed the cat. Of course you trust them but there may be that one time they can’t make it so they lend the key to someone else to do it.
Finally, be particularly wary if anyone you have loaned a key to claims to have lost it – there may be trouble ahead.